Templeton Rye was born during Prohibition, around 1920. Local bootleggers, including famed Templeton resident Alphonse Kerhkoff, produced a high caliber, highly desired whiskey known locally as “The Good Stuff,” which became Templeton Rye. Mafia leader Al Capone reportedly served Templeton Rye to his closest friends and family.
Templeton Rye was introduced in 2006 using a recipe that best matched the recipe of Alphonse Kerkhoff, Keith Kerkhoff’s grandfather. In October 2006, 68 barrels of Templeton Rye completed their four-year aging process, and became legally available on shelves in Iowa again, carrying on a family and small town tradition. For the past decade, Templeton Rye has honored the history and the people of Templeton, building a new facility in town to create and bottle the rye locally.
Templeton Rye uses a mash made up of 95% rye from MGP (formerly Lawrenceburg Distillers of Indiana) as its foundation. The distilled rye whiskey is brought to Templeton, Iowa, where it is combined with our proprietary formula and local purified water. The whiskey is then bottled in the production facility in Templeton.